MANIFESTO FOR IN-DEPTH REFORM OF THE SYSTEM OF INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
We, citizens of the world, determined to safeguard future generations from war, poverty, injustice, cultural uniformisation and environmental degradation,
DECLARE the particular seriousness of the problems and challenges facing humanity and, in particular, that
- the globalisation process is increasing the interdependence and complexity of world problems and widening the gap between rich and poor people; whilst markets become increasingly global, the influence of political institutions required for their democratic, equitable and effective functioning decreases every day
- the weakening and marginalisation of the system of international institutions as regards peace and security issues has led to unilateral use of force in recent armed conflicts (Iraq…), than promoting conflict resolution collectively and in accordance with processes and protocols established through the UN.
In this state of the affairs, we citizens proclaim that a fairer world is possible, and we reclaim our democratic entitlement to participate in global decisions that affect our lives every day. To this end, we
PROPOSE in-depth reform of the system of international institutions to guarantee:
- democratic governance of globalisation to contribute to resolving the grave problems and challenges that face our world;
- the eradication of poverty and the promotion of more equitable development and respect for cultural, natural and gender diversity;
- world peace and security, embracing human and environmental security, based on justice and freedom; and
- the establishment of mechanisms to enable the world's citizens and civil society organisations to achieve direct representation and participation in global decision-making processes.
The pursuit of these goals requires a stronger, more democratic UN, placed at the centre of a consistent, democratic, responsible, effective system of international institutions. More specifically, we need to democratise the composition and decision-making procedures of UN bodies and agencies to ensure that they are effective and democratic. And we need to reform and integrate within the UN all other global multilateral organisations (IMF, WB, WTO, etc.). To achieve these objectives,
WE PROMOTE a process of:
Mobilisation of the world's citizenry based, for example, on citizens and world organisations' support for this manifesto so that it comes to the formal attention of the United Nations General Assembly, with a request to call a world conference on the in-depth reform of the system of international institutions.
Join the manifesto!